The Book - Bart Beck

left button Home Page Site Map Previous Page Next Page right button

About Bart Beck

THE HOFFMAN POND

East of the Kellogg office building, on Hoffman Street, where the Hydro Plant now stands, was the remains of the Hoffman Mill. About all that was left of it, in 1920, was the Wheel Pits and the Head Gates. Farther to the North, between the old Mill and the Dam, was Avery's Ice House. That was an enormous, wood frame, building in which ice, that was cut from the pond in winter, was stored in saw dust, for summer use. Sanitary standards were not as strict then as they are now, so the ice was delivered to the consumer's ice box, along with the entrapped fish, weeds, dirt and saw dust. The Ice Man did, however, have a barrel of water on his wagon that he used to wash off some of the saw dust, before he put the ice in the customer's box.

Home - Site Map - Previous Page - Next Page


© Copyright 1985-2002 - LeBart Beck - All Rights Reserved.

About the Author